Entrance requirements are Higher Education Entrance Qualification for international applicants and certified language requirements in English.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification
The general basis for admission to universities and university colleges in Norway is called Higher Education Entrance Qualification. You may find what is considered university entrance qualifications from your country in the 'GSU' list. This list states the basic requirements for admission to higher education in Norway. Please download the latest version of the 'GSU' list from this website.
Applicants can meet the English language requirement by completing one of the following tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 500 points from TOEFL PBT (paper-based test) or 60 points from TOEFL iBT (internet-based test).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing Service), academic test with a minimum score of 5.0.
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: First Certificate in English
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: Certificate in Advanced English
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: Certificate of Proficiency in English
- Pearson PTE Academic with a minimum score of 51
- The European language certificate (telc): English B2
- The European language certificate (telc): English B2-C1 University
- The European language certificate (telc): all English certificates at C1-level
- English (140 hours) from Norwegian upper secondary school: written and oral exam.
Please be aware that IELTS and TOEFL test dates fill up quickly. Be sure to schedule your test in time for the results to reach us within the application deadline.
You can also meet the English language requirement if you have
- Completed one year studies in a secondary school or at university/university college in an English-speaking country (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, USA), provided that the language of instruction was English.
Application period from 1 November to 15 January:
- International applicants from EU/EEA
- International applicants from outside EU/EEA
- Residents in Norway with a renewable residence visa
- Residents in Norway with a high school degree from abroad
Application period from 1 February to 15 April:
- Nordic citizens with a Nordic high school degree
- Residents in Norway with a renewable residence visa who meet the Norwegian language requirement
- Residents in Norway with a high school degree from abroad who meet the Norwegian language requirement
- International applicants from EU/EEA who meet the Norwegian language requirement