English is one of the dominant languages worldwide, and English language skills are in high demand. A good proficiency will increase your chances of collaborating with people all over the world, giving you an advantage in the job market.
The Bachelor's programme in English (180 ECTS) will provide you with a solid understanding of the history and culture of English-speaking countries, as well as an extensive linguistic knowledge of the language.
The high level of English proficiency in Norway is reflected in the excellence of the teaching, which is primarily in the hands of professors who are English native speakers and experts in their respective fields.
The first year gives you a broad introduction to the language and literature, as well as the cultural history of Great Britain and the USA. During the first semester we organise a study trip to York, UK.
In the second year you will choose courses that will supplement your English studies. You may choose courses in a variety of fields. We offer courses in Norwegian for international students on different levels, as well as a course in Norwegian Society and Culture. You may also choose to spend one or two semesters abroad as an exchange student.
In the third year you take advanced courses in language and literature. In the final semester you will write your bachelor’s thesis under the guidance of a supervisor.
What do you learn?
- You will acquire knowledge about English language, literature and culture
- You will develop your skills in oral and written English
- You will learn to make judgements concerning literary works and understand the cultural context in which they were written
- You will acquire insight into how the major English-speaking cultures have developed
- You will acquire theoretical tools to understand literature, culture and language
- You will learn to reflect critically and independently
- You will learn to collaborate academically with others.