The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is the public agency processing all applications for a student residence permit. For complete information about the Norwegian immigration regulations please visit the UDI website.

We urge you to carefully read the regulations as to avoid problems during the application process. Applications that are incomplete will not be processed.

For applicants from countries outside the EU/EEA

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to study in Norway, you must always apply for a student residence permit, also known as a study permit. You will find more information on the UDI website:

For applicants from countries in the EU/EEA

If you are from the EU/EEA and are staying longer than 90 days, you need to register as a student. You may register after you have arrived in the country. 

General student requirements

• You must pay an application fee.

• You must have received an offer of admission to a study programme at a university college or university.

• The course must be full-time.

• You must have enough money to subsist on during the study period.

• If you have to pay tuition fees, you must also have money to cover this.

• You must have somewhere to live.

• The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed your studies.


Please note that this information only covers the general rules. For complete information please see  the UDI’s website at

For regulations concerning familiy reunification for a student's immediate family, please see the website of the UDI.